Haywood County Youth Livestock Interest Form
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
Fill out this INTEREST FORM in order to get an idea of what youth livestock opportunities are wanted within the county!
Haywood County Youth Livestock 4-H Goals:
- To introduce members to the full scope of livestock educational opportunities
- To provide members opportunities to expand their current skills through livestock-related learning, teaching, leadership, community service, mentoring and competition
- To encourage communication and cooperation between the members and the livestock-related industry, companies, organizations and public groups in and around Haywood County
- Through affiliation with Haywood County 4-H, North Carolina 4-H and Haywood County Cattlemens Association to support efforts to strengthen the future of livestock raising, production and knowledge.
- To introduce novice 4-H youth to the fun and reward of livestock projects
- To employ livestock projects as a means to help each member grow in the personal traits of integrity, teamwork, sportsmanship, patience and responsibility
- Livestock Skillathon Contests provide a valuable educational experience for youth. The content of these contests provide a framework for youth to learn a variety of topics related to the production and management of beef cattle, meat goats, sheep, and swine. Participants in these events will learn about different breeds of livestock, external parts of livestock, skeletal anatomy of livestock, feedstuffs used in livestock diets, equipment using in raising and showing livestock and in processing meat, wholesale and retail cuts of meat derived from livestock, expected progeny differences (EPDs), common calculations used to measure animal performance and profitability, judging hay, judging meats, and judging performance classes of livestock.
- Livestock judging contests provides an opportunity for youth to enhance their livestock evaluation and selection skills. Additionally, a judging contest improves their communication and decision-making skills, giving them invaluable life skills toward career development. Livestock judging teaches youth how to evaluate livestock and how to make and defend their decisions. Participants will judge classes that include beef cattle, goats, sheep and swine. Competition in livestock judging fosters self-confidence, organization, critical thinking, teamwork skills and oral communication skills. Just as important, these contests advances their knowledge of the livestock industry.