Haywood Offers Extension Master Food Volunteer Program
Extension Master Food Volunteer Program
**Scroll Down for the 2019 Class Schedule and Application
Do you enjoy cooking, eating, local food work, or just simply – food? If you answered yes to any of these, join the Extension Master Food Volunteer program now!! The 2019 application for the EMFV program is now open to Haywood County citizens! The application deadline is April 25, 2019, with classes beginning May 9, 2019.
About the Program
The N.C. Cooperative Extension Master Food Volunteer (EMFV) program provides NC residents the opportunity to engage with their communities by supporting the programming work of N.C. Cooperative Extension by providing unbiased, research-based information on food systems, cooking, and food safety to our community. Under the guidance of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) Extension Agents, volunteers complete 30-hours of training, 30 hours of shadowing and 20 hours of service in the first year which earns them the status of Extension Master Food Volunteer.
Who Can Become a Volunteer?
Anyone who has an interest in food preparation, food systems, nutrition, or food safety can apply. Ideal candidates will possess a desire to enhance their skills, increase their knowledge and enjoy working with people. Volunteers from Haywood County are invited to participate!
Topics Covered in Training
- Program Management
- Food Safety & Preservation
- Nutrition Basics
- Cooking Techniques
- Food Systems
- Diversity, Inclusion, Equity
- Cooking Demonstrations
What is Expected?
- Complete the EMFV application process including references and background check.
- Complete the mandatory 30-hour EMFV training program.
- Complete 30 hours of shadowing the first year.
- Communicate volunteer opportunities that suit your skills and interests to your agent.
- Contribute 20-hours of volunteer service per year.
- The cost of the program is $30.
Opportunities to serve
- Health Fairs
- Food/Cooking demonstrations
- Farmers market displays
- In-school and after-school programs
- 4-H youth programs
- Newspaper or newsletter articles on healthy living
- Health ministries in your community
- Cooking classes and more
2019 Application Deadline: April 25th
Interviews May 1 & 2, 2019 – Program Invitations May 3, 2019
To apply – print application below and submit to:
Julie Sawyer, FCS agent,
N.C. Cooperative Extension, Haywood County Center
589 Raccoon Rd., Suite 118
Waynesville, NC . 28786
For more information email email@example.com or call (828) 456-3575.